Do you ever hear yourself complaining about the same thing over and over again but you do nothing to change it?
Do you have big goals but somehow can’t seem to take the first step?
Are you simply wishing and hoping that things will change?
We all get stuck at different times in our life. I mean, let’s face it-it is so much easier to stay where we are, even if we are unhappy!
You know the saying “the devil you know is better than the devil you don’t know”.
This is not a saying that would empower anyone to move forward in their lives, right? I mean, why do we have to align ourselves with the devil anyways? Sooooo not cool……
How about this for a shift “the devil you know will keep you stuck in complacency if you don’t do something about it-period!” Now doesn’t that make you want to get into action?
The key to getting unstuck lies within you. If you do nothing different-nothing will change. Before you say that this is pretty obvious, let me explain.
Most of us know that it is up to us to effect change but we don’t do it because it is so much easier for us to stick with inertia.
“An object at rest stays at rest and an object in motion stays in motion with the same speed and in the same direction unless acted upon by an unbalanced force.” -Newton’s First Law of Motion
That unbalanced force is caused by you doing something differently so that you will start creating momentum. Momentum is a force to be reckoned with!
Here are 5 Ways to Get Unstuck and Get Going with Your Life
1) Do Something Different- it is so easy to become a creature of habit. When you do something different, anything different, it shakes things up. All of a sudden you “wake up”. You are not on autopilot anymore because you are doing something that is not in your comfort zone. It is sort of exciting. You can even challenge yourself to doing something different every day for a month. They can be small things but small things build momentum. You could take an art class, change your exercise routine, eat something you don’t normally eat, etc.
2) Explore What is Keeping You Stuck- it is so important to understand why you are staying stuck. Ask yourself if you are afraid of failure, or shining your light, or disappointing someone, or feeling like a fool, etc. Once you understand what keeps you stuck you can explore that further by asking yourself empowering, compelling questions. If you are still stuck, work through your limiting beliefs with a coach.
3) Explore What Your Real Goal Is– sometimes the goal is not so clear cut. Here is an example. I have a colleague who had the goal of losing 30 lbs. After further exploration, she realized that her real goal was to find a mate but she thought that she had to lose 30 lbs. in order to do that . When you know what your real goal is, you can be more direct in the way that you move towards it. Ask yourself, “What do I really want?”
4) Lean Into Your Goal- start moving towards your goal by breaking it down into bite sized pieces and tackling them one bite at a time. This will create momentum. Momentum is your friend. When you lean into your goal you will begin to see that people and opportunities pop up that you previously didn’t notice. The universe will conspire to help you. So lean in and stay open!
5) Become Friends with Failure- sometimes we fail to start something because we are afraid of failing. If it is something that we have never done before, we are not always sure that we “have what it takes” to succeed. Do it anyways! If you start moving in the direction of your dreams it may not be in a straight line because you will learn as you go. Sometimes it might be one step up and 2 steps back-that’s life. The upside is that you will become stronger from the inside out as you accept life’s challenges. You will learn and become resilient and you will begin to understand that there are no failures-just learning experiences and opportunities for you to grow into the person you are meant to be-the most amazing version of you!
We all get stuck at some point in our life. It is important to be aware and take steps to keep moving forward. Prod yourself, challenge yourself, and most importantly-trust yourself!
Cheers to you and your one fabulous life,
P.S. If you would like to talk about how coaching might help you get unstuck and start creating the life of your dreams, email me at firstname.lastname@example.org